Saturday, October 3, 2015

Sidewalk Prophets Delivers Something Different


     On August 28th, 2015 Sidewalk Prophets released Something Different through Word Label Group . For those who have been following these young men since they hit the waves in 2009 with their first album, These Simple Truths you will not be disappointed with the new addition. With this being their fourth album, including Merry Christmas To You (great stocking gift by the way), fans patiently waited for the album reveal.

Big Dan Taking Care Of Business in Hillsboro, Ohio
     By "new addition" I am also referring to "Big Dan" or so seems to be this young man's nickname given by the "band elders". I have to give a quick shout out to Daniel Macal, he had some big shoes to fill and this young man has went above and beyond. 

     He fits in perfectly with the rest of these talented guys and let me just say, since I have seen him live in action he can definitely carry his own weight!  Rock on Big Dan! 

     The first hit off the new album Prodigaldelivers an incredible testimony of the redemptive power we find in Christ in a celebratory melody.  No matter what we've done, or where we have been He's standing there with arms open wide to welcome us back into His loving arms. Registering in the top five of Christian music charts since it's release is no surprise!  
Official Prodigal Video


     One of the most creative songs for me personally is If You Only Knew.  It's written as a contemporary conversation ballad between a simple person as you or I with their Heavenly Father responding to some heartfelt questions and desires. It made me get choked up the first time I heard it, which seems to be a skill these guys have with lyrics. 
 "All you need's a little faith. What about what I deserve? Well that's the beauty of my grace. What about my debt. I've already paid the cost. What about my sin? You see I nailed to the cross. You were never meant to handle all this on your own Just give me everything you have inside And let it go."
Dave Has Such a Powerful Gift in His Voice
     The title track, Something Different actually surprised me. I thought to myself, "Wow they are rocking it out a bit here." The exceptional thing about this album is that they have maintained the powerful testimony of faith in lyrics and still provide something different (pun intended) in every song.  


     After jamming out to a message about how people are supposed to see something different in us, they come at you with power ballad Everything In Awe. I cannot begin to count how many times I have skipped to this song repeatedly. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's one of my favorite songs. Well, OK you got me it probably is for that very reason, but who can deny the majesty of our Almighty Father? Not to mention the fact that Dave kills the passionate power vocals at the end that they build up to.  

     To Live As Christ conveys a sentiment of great faith especially in the times we live in today. We are all called for such a time as this to pick up our cross and lead people to Christ. "For me to live is Christ to die is gain.  My great desire is to be with you, but this is the place you chose for me, this is the place you chose for me. To lift my cross and give everything.  This is the time you gave to me."


     One of the most important aspects of the body of Christ is that we become united together for purposes far greater than we can comprehend.  Sisters and Brothers shares this emotion with cheerful enthusiasm. 

     Ain't Nobody (Till You're Loved) is a jubilant tune that reminds Dave of his time living in Hawaii.  I must say I am a bit jealous he used to live there. My husband and I visited awhile back and my husband didn't want to come back home, so this is his favorite song on the album.  Mainly because Dave wore a leis around his neck when we seen them perform it at Rock The Smokies . 

      Sometimes we all face difficult situations and circumstances. However, with God His word says anything is possible. Impossible encourages those who may be struggling with staying hopeful or doubting His sufficiency. "Some would say it's foolish, stepping on the waves. Some would say it's over when you're buried in the grave. We're calling all the dreamers, with passion in their eyes. Calling all believers out into the light. Even when it's hopeless, out of our control just let go, watch our God do The impossible, the impossible. Everything is possible."


     I'd Rather Have You and Closer (featuring Tamela Mann) are certain to be favorites from those who purchase the album. These two songs really brought some new soulful sound that I really enjoyed myself. Lyrically they both emphasize how important it is to focus on growing closer to God regardless of what other people chase, we have to seek Him first and we will be blessed.  Don't miss these gems they are remarkable and Tamela and Dave bring down the house...or the car wherever you may be listening to Closer at.

     There are several messages on Something Different that can minister to people on so many different levels.  Go For It encourages you to step out in faith and lay everything you have out there for God to use.  Keeping your eye on the prize and holding steadfast in your faith.  

     Solider On is zealous battle cry to push on through trials and tribulations no matter what may come our way.  Rising in the name of the Lord, refusing to wave a flag of surrender.  "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.  We got to soldier on, we will soar on wings like eagles."

     The most poetic deeply searching number on this album is definitely won by Homeless Heart.  Anyone who can look back on their life and reflect these emotions expressed through every lyric in this song will be moved by this message.  I can see many people who have possibly lost their way with God connecting so deeply with this song that it reconnects them to Him knowing they are not the only one who has been where they are now.  For this cause I am going to post the lyric video below.  



Ben jamming in Hillsboro, Ohio
     It's very difficult for me to pinpoint what my absolute favorite song is off this album simply because there are so many different styles and messages.  
     The only way I can decide is by returning to the night a few months back when I seen them live in Hillsboro, Ohio and they performed Come To The Table. My heart is grieved for those who don't know our Lord and Savior. I could not help but weep when in that public festival they blasted these vocals. I thought of the all-inclusive invitation that Christ offers and my heart spilled out in tears. I began to think of everyone walking around and standing there unaware of how much God has already given to them if they would just open their hearts and receive Him and come to the table.  Hands down most powerful song on this album and probably one of the best songs they have ever created. 


"To the thief and to the doubter. To the hero and the coward. To the prisoner and the soldier. To the young and to the older. All who hunger, all who thirst. All the last and all the first. All the poppers and the princess. All who fail you've been forgiven. All who dream and all who suffer. All who loved and lost another. All the chained and all the free. All who follow, all who lead. Anyone who's been let down. All the lost you have been found. All who have been labeled right or wrong. To everyone who hears this song, Ooh Come to the table. Come join the sinners you have been redeemed. Take your place beside the Savior. Sit down and be set free"


                                         DAN                       BEN                              DAVE                       JUSTIN                           CAL



     I remember hearing Ben say at a concert recently that this is the type of album he's been hoping they would make for a really long time. Considering they have a blast on stage when they are performing is a good sign that he is completely satisfied with what they have created!  For those who have yet to buy the album if you can't tell by now I highly recommend it and make sure to Catch Them Live Near You!




     If you have a testimony about how Sidewalk Prophets has ministered to you please message me on our Glorified Pitstop Facebook Page. I would love to share it with others who read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment